To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s greatest and most necessary tales delivered to your inbox on daily basis at 3 p.m. PST, subscribe right here.
Whats up, I hope it’s a nice Thursday for you up to now. For me, it’s the little issues that get me excited and at present it’s Delta Air Strains’ announcement that SkyMiles frequent flyers, together with yours really, will get Wi-Fi at no cost beginning February 1. Might you additionally discover one thing that excites you at present. Let’s get into the information. — Christine
The TechCrunch Prime 3
- But extra layoffs: Yesterday it was Salesforce; at present it’s Amazon. Although these layoffs had been foreshadowed in current months, the quantity of individuals being let go was at present’s shock. Figuring out doesn’t take the sting away for workers, I think about. Paul takes you contained in the cuts.
- Secret secrets and techniques harm somebody: Secret secrets and techniques are not any enjoyable. Simply ask CircleCI clients, who had been urged to rotate their passwords and personal keys after a breach compromised the corporate’s system, Carly studies.
- Take a chunk out of this Apple: Apparently you all made a decision to learn extra in 2023. Among the many bulletins Apple made at present, the one which obtained quite a lot of clicks was the corporate’s new AI-powered e-book narrations for choose titles on Apple Books, Ivan studies. If health is extra your aim this 12 months, Apple Health+ is including new options, like kickboxing exercises and sleep meditation, Aisha writes.
Startups and VC
Persevering with with what appears to be a development in layoffs, Natasha M’s story is essential in getting views from former workers laid off from startups to see how they’re dealing with issues and the way their subsequent jobs would possibly evolve. She additionally asks the query, “The place do tech staff go from right here?” I received’t spoil it for you, however there appears to be a cycle happening.
Now right here’s 4 extra:
- That subsequent textual content is perhaps from Fido: My canine has bother telling me when he must go exterior, so I’m eyeing FluentPet’s speaking button system that has programmable buttons that, when pressed, converse voice instructions and textual content you. Sarah has extra.
- VR isn’t only for the youngins: Rendever, an enormous startup within the digital actuality house, acquired Alcove from AARP, displaying “VR comes of age,” Ingrid studies.
- Neighbors don’t shake arms; neighbors gotta hug!: Okay, effectively perhaps not hug, however if you happen to reside in an condo advanced and need to get to know the others dwelling close by, you would possibly need to try my story on OneRoof grabbing some funding to assist condo dwellers cozy as much as their neighbors.
- Right here’s a metaverse optimist: Conversational AI startup MeetKai is increasing its choices with new room-scanning tech and a metaverse builder with a concentrate on capturing objects and areas, Kyle writes.
Educate your self development advertising: Tips on how to arrange a touchdown web page
Within the first article of a five-part collection on development advertising fundamentals, Jonathan Martinez explains find out how to create a vital a part of each startup’s gross sales funnel: a touchdown web page.
This overview consists of primary steps for writing a transparent headline, providing guests social proof that builds credibility, and crafting calls to motion that drive outcomes.
Subsequent week, Martinez, who helped scale startups like Uber, Postmates and Chime, will share his suggestions for launching a paid acquisition channel.
Three extra from the TC+ crew:
TechCrunch+ is our membership program that helps founders and startup groups get forward of the pack. You possibly can enroll right here. Use code “DC” for a 15% low cost on an annual subscription!
Huge Tech Inc.
Should you couldn’t inform by your Twitter feed, CES is occurring. Brian introduces CES and how one can get all.the.juicy particulars for the remainder of the convention. Kyle additionally helped you out by rounding up a listing of the highest AI-powered merchandise seen on the convention.
One of many tales that significantly caught our eye at present was Kyle’s story on Ring bringing again its Peephole Cam. It was one thing forward of its time apparently, with Ring shuttering the product in 2021. Now it’s again in all of its glory and may be yours on the beginning worth of $129.
Listed below are a couple of favs from at present’s batch of CES tales:
Our crew wrote 51 Huge Tech tales at present, so I’m gifting you an additional one over the same old 5:
- Again within the saddle once more: Who had Sew Repair’s former CEO taking again the helm on their 2023 BINGO card? Nobody? Connie fills in some particulars surrounding Katrina Lake coming again for an interim stint, including to a CNBC report that included one other spherical of layoffs, this time 20% of the corporate’s 1,700 workers.
- You gotta battle to your proper to speak privately: And WhatsApp is behind you 100%. Aisha studies that the messaging big launched a proxy assist for customers globally to have the ability to preserve entry even when their connection is blocked or disrupted.
- Artwork is within the eye of the AI-powered beholder: Kyle studies on Picsart’s AI-powered SketchAI app that turns photographs and descriptions into digital artwork.
- And the streaming crown goes to…: Lauren writes about Roku ending 2022 with a brand new milestone — over 70 million energetic accounts. The streaming firm is claiming it’s nonetheless No. 1 amongst TV streaming platforms within the U.S., Canada, and Mexico by hours streamed.
- One other bytes the crypto mud: Jacquelyn studies that the New York Legal professional Normal sued Alex Mashinsky, the previous Celsius CEO, for defrauding crypto traders. The crypto lender filed for chapter over the summer season.
- Privateness ping: As Natasha L notes, Apple acquired a uncommon fantastic. France’s information safety watchdog group fined the buyer tech big about $8.5 million associated to Apple’s follow of “not acquiring native cell customers’ consent previous to inserting (and/or studying) advert identifiers on their units in breach of native information safety regulation.”